ATC 241: Believe It – You ARE an Athlete, Keys To Nailing a Marathon, Harms of Chornic Hypocaloric Diets, and Much More
August 18, 2017
Head to enduranceplanet.com/shop for a bunch of cool products and services we’ve come to love, use and endorse. Everything we offer is centered around helping you achieve the ultimate in health and performance. Also when you shop through endurance planet you directly help support the podcast so we can continue to provide you with great content always for free… Get started now on the path to optimizing your health and performance! Be sure to check out and try out:
- Inside Tracker is an awesome healthcare service to use for convenient and informative blood testing geared toward athletes. You can get up to 30 biomarkers tested and more on your journey to bettering performance. Use code “enduranceplanet” for a 10% discount and get started here.
- Thrive Market, which is basically Costco meets Whole Foods meets Amazon. Sign up for an annual membership now to start saving on healthy food, personal care products and clean products for the home. Shop conveniently from your home computer or your smartphone.
Tawnee and Lucho are on for Ask the Coaches episode 241.
- Have a question for one of our shows? Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ragnar: The 2018 SoCal regular team is FULL for now, but we are entered in the lottery for an ultra team and will know if we get it by September. If we get it, some regular team members will switch to ultra and more spaces will open for both teams, so there’s still a chance to join us… If interested, email us at email@example.com.
- Amazon – Before you do your amazon shopping, click the big yellow banner in top right corner, or the links in select show notes. You can even right click and save the link in your browser so you don’t have to go to EP first every time. Your support for the show is much appreciated, thank you!
Convo & Questions:
- Book mention (get your hands on a copy): The Brave Athlete by Simon Marshall, PhD, and Lesley Patterson
- Lucho’s track training as of late: key components to sprint training and limiting factors in max speed.
- Plans to hike the High Sierra Trail (HST) with the family, including kids, in 2018. Is this 70+ mile thru-hike doable for a 15-, 14-, and 11-year-old?? We talk the in’s and out’s of backpacking, and making a decision on whether it’s right, safe and smart to do with your kids.
- For the marathon, what’s the key to maximizing performance with the endurance component being so vital? After two attempts, not getting a lot of success at the distance and desiring to nail a race.
- Lucho’s 20 x 20 mile goal in your marathon-training plan.
- What gives when HR won’t get even too MAF while doing intervals on the bike trainer? A 50-year-old runner and bike newbie can’t seem to get HR over 120 on the bike; is there a still a benefit? Continue trying? What to do to boost HR?
- Neuromuscular training for the bike is key to getting HR able to go where you want it.
- Short efforts of 10 seconds or less, high cadence, single leg drill, etc.
- Based off a VO2max test, can you determine a “new” MAF HR range? Not quite.
- The difference between MAF training and zone-based HR training (i.e. metabolic vs. cardiovascular means of determining your target heart rates).
- Learning to BELIEVE in yourself and that you ARE an athlete, even when you don’t really feel like it. It’s all about the narrative you give yourself – think positive!
- The risks of hypocaloric diets and how they can destroy you resting metabolic rate (RMR).
- Why eating more may actually be good for your waistline and body comp, in particular if you’re chronically underfueling and stressed.
Add your thoughts