ATC 353: Nausea at the Finish (Outside-The-Box Remedies), Combining #Marathon Training and #Yoga, #Nutrition and Training For Multi-Day #Bikepacking, and More! ow.ly/tABX50OBUsZ @SkratchLabs
Our Kona coverage continues with two legend of the sport, six-time Ironman World Champion Mark Allen and Ironman Champion Tim O’Donnell, who’s fresh off a third-place finish in Kona. Both of today’s guests have made appearances on EP before: Click here for Mark’s appearances; and TO’s visit here.
On this show you’ll learn what went into TO’s podium performance with Mark as his coach, including what was needed to make a comeback after a disappointing day in 2014:
– Why TO hired Mark as a coach including his goals for longevity and to avoid overtraining
– TO’s 2014 race in Kona was not a good day and ended with TO in 32nd – what happened that day? (In 2013, he had been 5th)
– After Tim’s 2014 race what did Mark think, and what did he see that needed more work or change?
– “Holes in TO’s physiology” that Mark honed in on to fix
– The increase in aerobic training/MAF Method
– How did TO adjust and handle Mark’s approach to the coaching program? How did it differ from what he had done in past training?
– A careful balance between aerobic base work and race-simulation intensity
– Strategically and progressively adding in race specific intensity (2-month kona-specific phase)
– Developing better fat metabolism via the aerobic training
– Nutrition strategies, and discussing TO’s tried and trusted nutrition plan
– Mark’s take on nutrition for pro’s vs. age groupers
– TO’s race nutrition breakdown: what he ate for breakfast, during the bike and on the run (80-85g/CHO an hour on the bike @ ~73kg bodyweight)
– The 2015 IMWC race plan & execution
– TO breaks down his 2015 performance including when he pulled into 1st on the bike and what was going through his head
– TO’s 2:55 marathon and that final pass by Andy Raelert
– And… finishing 3rd. ‘Merica!
– Back to the drawing board for 2016 – what will they work on next for Kona’s to come…
– and more!
For more of Tim’s race history and results click here.
TO still needs more aerobic. Don't think has earned it, liked you mentions Tawnee. He fell apart the last 8k. That's were MA was the best at. MA still doesn't now Nutrtion well. Maybe he forgot his roots 🙁 TO definitely needs a better nutrition plan.
[…] TO’s huge day, and EP’s post-Kona show with TO here to see what he did along with coach Mark Allen for his breakt… […]