Chris ‘Macca’ McCormack: Official Men’s Pro Race Preview for the Ironman World Championships, Plus Insight on Coaching Caroline Steffen
October 9, 2014
Endurance Planet’s Week of Kona coverage is brought to you by Polar
, leaders in heart rate monitor and fitness-assessment technology.
Find out more at enduranceplanet.com/polar
Tawnee sat down with two-time Ironman World Champ Macca on the lava rocks at sunset, Wednesday just outside the Clif House to grab a chat on the pro men’s race for this year’s 2014 Ironman World Championships. Not only do we get some great insight from Macca on the men’s field this year but also Macca’s overall insight on the dynamics of the men’s race including the psychology, reliving his years when he raced in Kona.
Among the men discussed (with Macca’s podium picks) are:
- Jan Frodeno – Olympic gold medalist showing he has what it takes at Ironman
- Frederick Van Lierde – defending champion
- Crowie – opting not to retire and instead still race this year; love from Macca?
- Ivan Rana – watch for this one, seriously.
- Sebastian Kienle – a race favorite and a beast on the bike!
- Nils Frommhold – 1st at IMSA and 2nd a Challenge Roth this year
- Marko Albert – ITU/Olympic speed machine
- Luke McKenzie – coming off 2nd place last year and a front guy on the bike
- Marino Vanhoenacker – He’s back and can mix things up on the bike and i the overall race
- Andreas Raelert – he’s coming in with a different attitude this time, will it work?
- Any Potts – what he does on the swim changes the whole game
- Bart Aeronauts – Belgian who can run with the best in Kona
- …..and more!
Macca also opens up about coaching pro Caroline Steffen to give her exactly what she needs to finally win this race after a pair of second and third finishes each in past years!
Click here for an in-depth preview of the women’s pro race with Hillary Biscay.
Add your thoughts